Healthy Parks Healthy People Recipes from ARAMARK Parks and Destinations
“Since joining Aramark one of my aspirations was to organize a method so that the culinary operational team could secure locally grown ingredients and drive a sustainable purchasing program to insure guests and visitors to the National parks would be able to select from the regional and seasonal fresh ingredients in our menus. This creates not only a better guest experience, but also supports a healthier dining style.”
Brian Stapleton, Vice president of Food and Beverage
Griddled Cumin Scented Chesapeake Bay Seafood Taco
- 4 oz fillet of Chesapeake Bay bass
- 4 each flour tortillas
- 2 oz jicama, finely sliced
- 2 oz cabbage leaf, finely sliced
- ¼ bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime
- ¼ oz red onion, finely sliced
- ¼ oz white onion, finely sliced
- ½ oz scallion, finely sliced
- 2 oz tomato
- 1/8 oz jalapeno
- 1/8 oz Anaheim chili pepper
- 2 tb olive oil
- 1 oz cheese
- 2 oz black beans, cooked
- 1 tb cumin powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine jicama, cabbage, red onion, cilantro, fresh lime juice, fine diced jalapeño
- Season with salt and pepper, allow to marinate for 1 hour
- Quarter limes, crumble cheese, season cooked black beans.
- Combine fine dice anaheims, jalapeno, scallions, white onion, cilantro, lime and tomato. Mix and place in bowl
- Season striped bass with salt, pepper, and cumin, lightly griddle on flat top griddle or large skillet.
- Over open burner flame, or in skillet, toast the flour tortilla 5 seconds on each side.
- Place slaw on tortilla and cooked seafood on top - garnish with the mixture of anaheims, scallions, cilantro, lime – serve.
Per Serving: 395 Calories; 14g Fat (30.8% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 19mg Cholesterol; 372mg Sodium.
Mom's Chicken & Toasted Almond Snack
- 4 oz chicken breast
- 1 oz sliced almonds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ oz carrots, finely diced
- 1 ½ oz celery, finely diced
- 1 oz dried cherries
- 2 tb Dijon mustard
- 4 tb mayonnaise
- 2 oz crackers
- ¼ bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
- Season and sear chicken breast until cooked through.
- When cooked, cool and finely chop chicken.
- In saute pan, season almonds with salt and pepper and then toast until golden brown, remove and cool.
- In stainless steel mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (except crackers) season as needed with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 – 1.5 oz of chicken mixture in a small clear cup and garnish with cracker.
Per Serving: 259 Calories; 20g Fat (65.5% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 19mg Cholesterol; 383mg Sodium.
Strawberry & Meyer Lemon Chantilly Cream
- 1 quart heavy cream – chilled
- 5 oz powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 meyer lemons, zested
- 32 oz strawberries, sliced
- ½ oz sea salt
- Place the cream in a chilled mixing bowl. Using a balloon whisk, whisk the cream until slightly thickened
- Add the sugar and vanilla and continue whisking to the desired consistency. The cream should be smooth and light, not grainy. Do not overwhip.
- Crème Chantilly may be stored in the refrigerator for several hours. If the cream begins to soften, gently rewhip as necessary.
- Combine strawberries and sea salt, allow to macerate for 30 minutes
- Place 2 oz of strawberries in a clear cup, and garnish with Crème Chantilly
Per Serving: 66 Calories; 6g Fat (72.8% calories from fat); trace Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 20mg Cholesterol; 89mg Sodium.